27 October 2020
The Short Term Scientific Mission (STSM) Committee of the COST Action CA18135 Fire in the Earth System: Science & Society (FireLinks) is pleased to announce the opening of the STSM call for application during year 2 (November 2020 – March 2021).
The application form is available for download.
Please read this call carefully as there are some important changes due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Applying for a STSM during the Covid19 Pandemic
The application must describe how the activities proposed to take place during the STSM can be safely conducted according to current international health and safety recommendations. In light of this, we recommend that activities only involve few people and are to be conducted either outdoors or in indoor spaces that are large enough to enable social distancing.
– The letter from the Host Organisation must confirm that the Host Institution is able to accept visitors under their anti-Covid19 health and safety policy and it must specify that the proposed activities can safely take place on their premises and that social distancing rules and prevention measures are in place.
– The letter from the Home Institution must confirm that travel for its staff is allowed under their anti-Covid19 health and safety policy
– Both the Host and Home Institutions commit to update their endorsement closer to the travel date upon request.
Please note that if a quarantine period is needed (host country), this period is not included in the STSM period and cannot be reported, and therefore, is not eligible for funding.
STSM duration – between 5 and 90 days (and up to 180 days if the applicant is an ECI)
The STSM will be a fixed grant to cover part of the travel expenses and living allowance. The cost of research materials is not eligible for consideration as part of the grant.
All researchers from FireLinks member countries are strongly invited to submit an application to the call, according to the following scheme:
- Type A application: Dedicated to
- (a) Early Career Investigators (ECI = an individual who is within a time span of up to 8 years from the date they obtained their PhD/doctorate full-time equivalent) ); and
- (b) people engaged in an official research program as a PhD Student or postdoctoral fellow or employed by, or affiliated to, an institution, organisation or legal entity which has within its remit a clear association with performing research.
- Type B application: Dedicated to group leaders, professors, and experienced scientists.
Deadline: March 1st 2021, (Midnight, Brussels Time) for proposed STSM to take place before the 12th of March 2021